Saturday, December 10, 2016

Muddy Times and 24-hour Fasts

12/5/16 Yes I finally got a camera, it cost a little more than i was hoping but at this point i dont really care... just happy to have one! this week was a learning week. and when i say learning week i mean it pretty much sucked... like alot. but thats ok because it means i should be growing (hopefully not in height im aready a freak show here). as requested ill do a weekly recap of each day (more or less) so here we go!

Monday: pday!!! it was definitely needed (every pday is great). i got to explore both of the actual malls that are here and that was super cool but it made me both homesick and weirded out. homesick because i saw alot of familiar stuff that reminded me of home and weirded out because there are two giant malls in the middle of the jungle... of course ts city but before there was city there was jungle... weird. anyways later we contacted and one of my zone leaders got the stomach flu and he asked me to give a blessing! super cool experience.

Tuesday and Wednesday: both days were super frustrating as I felt like I wasnt making much progress, and the work here is slow. there's not many people to teach and we have a giant area. It doesnt make much sense I know but it's true. We are usually getting shut down by angry moms and super religious old guys with no teeth. However after a lot of prayer i realized it all depends on me and my attitude, so Wednesday night I decided the next day I'd have a good attitude...

Thursday: woke up in a bad mood. like really bad. No idea why, I just did, so during study i wasnt happy, and then my comp talked to me about patience and its importance. So I tell myself, ok im going to be patient! AND THEN, on the way to lunch we found a car stuck in mud, so what do we do? Serve! long story short I got plastered with mud... not so patient anymore... throughout the rest of the day I kept trying to better my attitude but it wasnt working, and then god stepped in. we have possibly 3 new investigators and an entire family to teach... such a tender mercy. My prayer that night was long...

Friday: so back home friday is usually a fun day with alot of relaxing and getting ready for the weekend. what did I do? I walked :) a lot. all of our appointments fell through and nobody wanted to talk to us... oh boy was my patience tested haha. but according to my journal by the end of it I was in a an ok mood. don't know how haha

Saturday: I'll be quick with this, hardest day ive had. first off we fasted from lunch saturday to lunch sunday, which means no water. i was dying haha additionally noone wanted to talk... ultumatey it wasnt fun, I learned alot about myself that day.

Sunday: never have I ever been more excited for a Sunday in my life... it was so nice just being able to relax and feel the spirit. Not much to say about it other than I needed it haha.

And that concludes the week! for everyone who actually read this far, the mission is hard, but it is a blast. I realize that there is a lack of fun experiences in this letter, but atogether this experience is awesome. I'm beggining to realize why its so important and why everyone stresses the mission so much. its hard, but its incredible. cant wait to see where the mission takes me and how much it will help me. I love all of you very much and I hope you all know how much god loves you. stay close to him and he will make you something amazing. I guess ill throw in a quick scripture: Mosiah chapter 2. its helped me a lot recently. love you all! have a great week!

-Elder Grover

Notes from us back in Cali: We read Mosiah 2 as a family to honor Jordan's mention of how it helped him. We then went around sharing why we thought it helped him. Baylee: When we try to bring happiness to others it can bring happiness to us. Lauren: We need to be obedient to be fully happy. Ty: We need to keep trying in order to be with Heavenly Father. Paul: King Benjamin was humble and worked alongside the people. No one is better than anyone else. This humility is essential in serving and sharing the gospel. Jen: I reflected on a book passage about accepting compliments. Not accepting a compliment is not really humble, it's prideful. We disregard someone's authentic observation about ourselves when we shrug off compliments. Instead, we should acknowledge them with gratitude in a way that say "thank you for seeing that in me". This honors the fact that all good things come from God- every aspect ourselves, our talents, our actions, our appearance, it all comes from God. I'm not sure that helped Jordan but I thought it was important to share.




No comments:

Post a Comment